Thursday, August 9, 2007

Censorship, Scientists, and GOP


I will start off with an admission....Although I loved Pearl Jam's Ten album, I've haven't really been thrilled with anything they've put out since. But they continue to record, tour, and make a living making music, so more power to them. I've always agreed with their stance against Ticketmaster, and with their politics in general. So I guess I shouldn't have been to surprised when I read this article. I'm sure is just "technical difficulties." A major US corporation would never engage in censorship, right? Riiiiiight....

Sticking with the topic of huge monopolies....er, corporations...This is just 'shocking.' Liberals will tell you how FoxNews is anything but [news], and conservatives will complain about how they've been listening to the liberal media their entire lives, so Fox is just a balance. And they'll both tell you how the Internets [series of tubes, not a dump truck] are full of lies and misleading info (Drudge). The truth is, living in our society, with information so readily available, you have two obligations to yourself. 1) Be careful. There's a plethora of bad info out there, and very little useful info, usually hidden. And 2) Be all-inclusive. Check out both sides of the aisle. I hate Rush Limbaugh, and think 85% of what comes out of his mouth is a lie. But I check out his site once a week, to see what/who he lying about. "Know your enemy." And to that point, read this article. It's pretty short, and I can't tell if I agree with this guy or not. Either way, 'shocking!'

On to the scientists...I am a firm believer that the Earth has entered a period of warming. 99.999% of all scientist would agree with that statement. The question becomes, is it man's fault? In my opinion, to say man has zero influence on the environment is foolish and laughable. I'm not pro-pollution. At the same time, to think that we're all going to stop driving gas guzzlers is also unrealistic. Balance is the key, and it's also not in the cards, at least with the NeoCons in charge. But I think the scientists do themselves a disservice when they release statements like this. We all remember Katrina, no doubt. And I'm sure we all remember the promise of 'even more hurricanes in 2006 than in 2005.' How did that work out? Let's not give fools like Rush, Hannity, and Coulter any more ammunition! Americans are generally pretty stupid, and when you can easily prove something wrong, they will tend to dismiss it, if told to do so by other people. Have Rush spread propaganda saying there is no Global Warming, and people believe it. Does it matter that its false and Rush is no more a scientist than a drug free American? NO!

Lastly, does this article seem ironic to anyone? The GOP is basically saying, "Hey brown people! We'll ignore your problems! We'll do everything in our power to keep you out of our country! We don't like you! But please vote for us!"

No comments: